Lent Photo Project Word of the Day: "Drink"

I wrote this one for Facebook but decided not to post it there because I came up with something better. But I don't want to lose this one, so here it is.

Let beer be for those who are perishing,
    wine for those who are in anguish!
Let them drink and forget their poverty
    and remember their misery no more. - Proverbs 31:6-7

I know, this isn't what people generally think about when they think "Proverbs 31 wife."


This ceramic astronaut is a keepsake from my old job. Who knows why I took a picture of it with a glass of wine. Probably because I'm an avid taker of random pictures.

I found the photo in my phone today while running a search on the word "drink." At first I scrolled right past it; my brain tends to scroll right past memories of that old job when they come up. But then I went back to the picture and thought about how my unhappiness at that job, for those last two years at least, resulted in a whole lot more wine-drinking on my part.

Not long after I left the job, I realized that we weren't running through the the wine bottles (OK, boxes) nearly so quickly. We were barely running through them at all. Before, wine had helped tone down the stress and anxiety; now my stress and anxiety were gone. Wine had helped me sleep (sort of), but I wasn't having trouble sleeping anymore. Wine had helped me forget the the misery of each day at work, but suddenly my days were happy, and they were giving me memories I didn't want to forget.

I still like wine with the occasional meal, or with the occasional gathering with friends, but the days (nights) of using it to "remember my misery no more" are ... no more. And honestly, that time a wake-up call to beware of ever using wine for "self-medication." Because things could have turned out a whole lot worse.

I still have the astronaut. The last couple of years at my job were so painful that I've considered getting rid of it, maybe with the help of a hammer. But I did love that job for the first few years, so I guess I'll keep it. Or maybe not.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Reading Challenge

A Short Rant on Bible Reading

My 2022 Reading Challenge