Reading Challenge 2020

Stop the presses!

I have devised a brand-new reading challenge for 2020. It will incorporate other challenges (sort of), but it has a logic of its own. Here's what I've read so far:

Kids' Chapter Book: A book recommended by a middle-grade child: Into the Wild: Warriors, Book 1, by Erin Hunter

This one was recommended by my daughter, who is deep into Erin Hunter's "Warriors" series. Last summer, we visited my sister and her children, and 10-year-old Emmi was engrossed in the books to the point of being rude to company and refusing to play with friends. (Having been in that same predicament many times as a child, I sympathized with Miss Emmi.)

The book was entertaining, though I cringed a little at the cat-violence in the fight scenes. I cried a little in the end and just may go on to read Book 2.

Second Chance Book: A new-to-you book by an author you've read in the past and didn't like: Velvet Elvis, by Rob Bell

I read What is the Bible with a group from my church, and both the writing style and the theology had me scratching my head, wondering what people saw in this guy. Another group at church will be reading Velvet Elvis this spring, so I decided to Rob Bell another chance ... on audio book. I wasn't crazy about this book either. This review from 9Marks speaks to some of the issues I had with the book. I'm glad I listened to this on audio while on a road trip. Because his writing style is very conversational and stream-of-consciousness at times (which I found annoying in What is the Bible), I think it works better in audio.

Always-a-Bridesmaid Book: A book that's been on your shelf for years without being read: The Book of Ruth, by Jane Hamilton

I bought this book many years ago at a used-book store, and it's been sitting on my shelf every since, having survived several book-collection purges. I'm not sure if it was the title or the cover that attracted me to this book. I liked it at first, but I nearly put the book down for good at the halfway point. I was just bored -- bored with the narrative and the life of the uninteresting, unlikable narrator. The book picked up toward the end (thanks to an extremely violent scene), but the book never quite kept me interested.

Here are a few other books I'm currently reading:
I'll update this post as I complete these and add more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Reading Challenge

A Short Rant on Bible Reading

My 2022 Reading Challenge