First Post

Several weeks ago, I was deep in prayer, and I asked God how I can best serve Him and the church. "Write," was the first word that came to my mind, a whisper in my thoughts. Did that come from God? From me?

What's odd is that I was caught off-guard. For some reason, the idea of writing was a little shocking to me. I say "for some reason" because I've been a writer all my life. I've never made it big, though I've published a few things here and there, and for most of my career I've been a technical writer. Writing is like breathing for me. So why was I so shocked when the word "write" came to mind?

I guess I thought my "role" would have something to do with music. Or teaching. Or speaking. I have skills in all those areas, and those areas just seem more ... I don't know, active.

But I do know how to write, so I'll go with that.

Immediately after this big revelation, my schedule went crazy. I suddenly had no time to write, and when I was able to grab a few minutes or an hour, the words spilled out, unorganized and indiscriminate, and weren't even fit for a blog post. It would take a handful of additional writing sessions to make sense of it all for readers. And those writing sessions are maddeningly few and far-between.

So here I am, taking a lunch break from work, jotting things down in Notepad. I want to publish something to this new blog before I head back into the office today. And here is what I will publish: My reason for this blog.

I want to write about the things I believe, and in a space larger than those provided by Twitter or Facebook. I want to write about why I believe. I want to write about how I've been an atheist for most of my adult life but am no longer. I want to write about what I'm learning as I read the Bible as if I've never read it before. I want to write about the things in our culture that trouble me. I also want to share and comment on some of the things I'm reading online and offline.

I'm a wife and a mom, but this isn't intended to be a "mommy blog." I'm (still) a technical writer, but this won't be a blog on technical communication. I'm an amateur pianist, but I won't be writing about the finer points of fingering, scales, and music theory. And as much as I love to read, I probably won't be writing many book reviews (though I can't promise anything!).

I suppose you could call this a "Christian blog," as I'll mostly be writing about how Jesus is shaping my life and how Christianity has made me both more content in my life and more alien in this world.

This is a short introduction, but my work break is over, and it's time to get back to the grindstone (er, the laptop). My hope is to post at least one thoughtful article here a week. With God's grace, time will open up and I'll be able to write even more than that.

Blessings,

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Reading Challenge

A Short Rant on Bible Reading

My 2023 Reading Challenge